- The 2020 contest begins Tuesday, December 1st, and runs through Tuesday, December 22nd at 11:59 p.m. Unless there is a tie, the winners will be announced on Wednesday, December 23rd. The first-place winner will be the organization that receives the most votes and will receive a $500 donation from Rubric Legal. The 2nd place winner will receive a $100 donation from Rubric Legal. Sorry, still no third place this year. Any ties will be broken by giving the organizations (or those that nominated them) 24 hours to submit 280 characters as to why even the Grinch should be on Santa’s nice list. Santalawyer will select the response that best captures the season!
- A new and different prize this year: the first person that votes on each of the first 5 days of the contest will win a one of a kind Santalawyer-decorated mask! If no votes come in on a given day, then the mask giveaway extends for another day.
- To enter the contest, all Twitter users must first follow: @thesantalawyer. Contest updates and daily tallies will be posted to this twitter account. Silly holiday themed tweets including favorite holiday songs will be posted to this account. *Disclaimer* tweets may include holiday themed videos that might be considered NSFW. And cats. Many cats, possibly even holiday cats. There may also be special bonus point opportunities announced via this Twitter account.
- All nominations must come in by one of these two methods – Twitter (@NonprofitRubric or @thesantalawyer), or email: santa at rubriclegal.com.**If you are using Twitter to nominate, please use #santalawyer so we can keep track of votes!** If you do not use the hashtag, the vote will not be counted.
- Prior winners are not eligible to win first prize. Sorry ☹
- To be eligible, nominee must be a Minnesota charity with gross annual revenues less than $1 million.
- One vote/day/organization/person (so, you can vote for more than one organization each day but only one vote per organization per day), and must be accompanied by a holiday themed photo or GIF (by email vote, or Twitter vote)! Post a video to Twitter of yourself singing an entire holiday tune – you get a one-time bonus of 25 votes. *If a video is sent to email, it is implied that we have your consent to post the video to Twitter.* Post a video to Twitter of yourself or a group dancing to a holiday themed song, and you will get a one-time bonus of 35 votes. Special consideration and additional points may be granted if the dance is choreographed.
- We reserve the right to redirect the funds if a review of the selected organization’s Form 990 and/or other info indicates it is not a good steward of charitable funds.
- Nominees that meet the Charities Review Council’s Standards of Accountability get a one-time 25-point bonus.
- I have no idea what the odds are of winning, but you can’t win if you don’t participate!
Finally, this contest is inclusive of ALL winter holidays. This is not a Christian Christmas contest, as Santa Lawyer celebrates Christmas as a secular holiday, mostly involving (too many) decorations and sparkly things, holiday sweaters, inappropriate holiday-themed music, and being kind to everyone. Whatever this holiday season means to you, that’s what this contest intends to honor and celebrate.
Good luck, and have fun!